Why It Happens and How to Treat It
- PCOS could trigger hair loss as a result of it’s linked to elevated ranges of DHT, which causes balding.
- Hair loss in girls with PCOS often reveals up alongside the hair half, the place it begin to skinny.
- Deal with PCOS-related hair loss with hormonal contraception, medicine like Spironolactone, and extra.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal dysfunction that impacts up to 12% of girls of reproductive age in the US.
It causes an extra of androgens, that are male intercourse hormones. This results in symptoms like irregular intervals and weight acquire.
One other symptom that many individuals affiliate with PCOS is hirsutism, or irregular hair development on the face and chin. However PCOS can even trigger your hair to skinny — in actual fact, some individuals with PCOS report feminine sample hair loss.
This is what you have to learn about why PCOS could cause hair loss, and the way to deal with it.
Does PCOS trigger hair loss?
Whereas hair loss is not the commonest symptom of PCOS, it’s definitely extra frequent in girls with PCOS than within the basic inhabitants, says Dr. Loriana Soma, an OB-GYN at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
It is because individuals with PCOS have the next than regular degree of male intercourse hormones, which is why they might expertise excess body or facial hair and acne. These elevated ranges of testosterone and its metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT) can:
- Trigger hair follicles to shrink and turn out to be thinner
- Shorten the traditional life cycle of a hair follicle so hair falls out quicker and regrows slower
Feminine sample hair loss presents otherwise from male sample baldness. When men start to lose their hair, it often begins as a bald spot on the highest of their head or a receding hairline.
However, girls who’ve female pattern hair loss will first expertise a thinning of the hair the place it is parted, after which this half turns into wider, says Soma. The hair will doubtless proceed to skinny, but it surely’s uncommon for it to progress to baldness.
The way to deal with PCOS-related hair loss
Remedy for PCOS-related hair loss includes treating the underlying hormone imbalance and the hair loss itself.
“Quite a lot of medicines might help within the therapy of hair loss associated to PCOS, and most of the people have one of the best outcomes with a mix of medicines,” says Dr. Jane Frederick, an OB-GYN and reproductive endocrinologist at HRC Fertility, an affiliate of Keck Medicine of USC.
Six therapy choices for PCOS-related hair loss are:
- Hormonal contraception capsules: Contraception capsules can decrease androgen ranges, which might help decelerate your hair loss, says Frederick. As a bonus, contraception can help with other PCOS symptoms like extra facial or physique hair, irregular intervals, and zits.
- Spironolactone: Spironolactone is a prescription oral medicine that is often known as an antiandrogen. Frederick says because it blocks the consequences of androgens on the pores and skin, it is used off-label to deal with hair loss. It’s normal to take this drug alongside contraception capsules, Frederick says.
- Minoxidil: Minoxidil (generally offered underneath the model identify Rogaine) is a topical medicine. It is the one FDA-approved drug for treating feminine sample baldness, says Frederick. It really works by increasing the size of your hair follicles and lengthening your hair development cycle.
- Weight reduction: Should you’re obese, shedding pounds could assist your PCOS signs by improving your hormone imbalance. “There may be vital proof that shedding pounds can decrease androgen ranges and cut back the consequences of extra androgens in girls with PCOS,” Frederick says. If androgen ranges are decrease, this may cut back hair loss.
- Hair transplant: A hair transplant is essentially the most drastic therapy for PCOS-related hair loss. This can be a surgical procedure the place the surgeon removes part of your scalp with wholesome hair development, and transplants these hairs into the areas the place your hair is thinning. Nonetheless, Frederick says this usually is not coated by insurance coverage and may price as much as $15,000 per process, and chances are you’ll want a number of procedures for one of the best outcomes.
Individuals with PCOS could expertise hair loss as a symptom alongside irregular intervals, extra hair development on the face and physique, and weight acquire.
Hair loss is because of the results of elevated androgens, or male intercourse hormones.
Varied remedies starting from contraception to topical medicines to surgical procedure might help cut back your hair loss. Utilizing a mix of remedies will most certainly yield one of the best outcomes.
Did you miss our previous article…